Sunday, October 15, 2006

Profile: Dr. Ada Wallace

Dr. Wallace worked with my grandma at the Fitzpatrick Maternity Home.Dr. Ada Wallace was a rarity, a woman doctor*. They existed, but they had to fight for every inch they gained in those early days. She delivered the babies at the maternity home, and did general practice in the community. I have seen a photograph in my family's collection showing Dr. Wallace administering TB Shots in the early 1950's. I'll have to find that one of these days, and post it here.

If anyone reading this remembers Dr. Wallace, or knows stories about her, please let me know. I'd love to hear them!

* - She wasn't the only woman doctor around the region in the early days - another example, even before Dr. Wallace, was Helena Wink...

No comments:

Post a Comment