Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mr. Godon's Map

Here is the map I promised. Mr. Godon drew this awhile back, he told me, from memory. It represents the St. Vincent of his youth, circa the 1940's. Although twenty years before my time, I easily recognize most of it. Some businesses were closed by the time I was growing up in the 1960's/1970's, and some people were either passed on or moved around, but generally speaking, not much had changed. Time moves slowly in St. Vincent.

One thing we laughed about the night of my visit, was that after all these years, the jail is still there!

Although a substantial building, I don't think it has survived simply because of that. No, I think someone has a soft spot for that little bit of town history, and for that, I am glad. Long stand the jail!

No comments:

Post a Comment