Friday, July 17, 2009

...the Rest of the Story

A few years ago, my then-boyfriend and I did a short holiday to Winnipeg, staying at the Hotel Fort Garry, and visiting some of the sites I often went to growing up with my family. It was not only nostalgic, but revealing in the changes I saw. One of them was the statue of Winnie the bear on the grounds of the Assiniboine Park Zoo. The statue wasn't there until 1992, years after I had attended the zoo with my family. While I was growing up, getting married and divorced, having my children and in turn them growing up, many changes happened to 'my city', including the installation of this statue in the Park...


It was incredibly touching to learn that a world-famous beloved children's story, had been originally inspired by a bear cub brought over to England by a man from Winnipeg.

...and now you know the rest of the story!

1 comment: