Saturday, October 31, 2009

In Memoriam: Charles Walker


Son. Husband. Father. World War II Veteran. Bush Pilot. Politician. Author. Local Historian (and descendant of some of the area's earliest pioneers...) An icon of my home town area has passed from us. I received word today from a reader of this blog that a good friend of mine had died. Charles Harris Walker lived a long and fascinating life. I got to know him towards the end of it, and wish I had known him much longer, but cherished the time I did have. We communicated mostly by email, but also in person during visits back home. We shared a passion for local history, one he had had long before I even existed, but I only learned of in recent years. He was there in the background of my life for many years and I didn't realize we shared this love of history. I was younger, and so was he, and we were at different stages of our lives. It's funny how you can be around people, even know them to a limited degree, but not REALLY know them, and then suddenly at some point it's like you finally open your eyes and see them for who they really are...or rather who they were all the time but you were too blind or ignorant to see it before. 


I've been serializing his books - Sheriff Charley Brown, and Bordertowns here on this blog, in fact Bordertowns is still in-progress. Bordertowns has just been published. I shall sorely miss his knowledge, his sense of humor, and just who he was as a person. He was a special man.

2 comments:

  1. I just learned of him from you, and I am also sorry to hear that he is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Online Obituary for Chuck can be found at http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/obituary/id/139729/

    ReplyDelete