Saturday, March 31, 2012
D.F. Brawley's Sad End...
The last time we saw Daniel F. Brawley, he was conducting some rather underhanded business tactics against another resident named Nathan Myrick, over the Pembina/St. Vincent Ferry.
Below is a sort of time-line of Brawley's history in Minnesota. It was created by Vince Godon on his fascinating website, Historical Minnesota Bricks. Vince is the son of Maurice Godon, a former resident of St. Vincent, who was featured in St. Vincent Memories in 2009.
Below, you'll read how he lived during changing times in Minnesota, as businessman, legislator, etc. In the end, he died by his own hand, in St. Vincent, and is buried in the St. Vincent Cemetery...
First Brick Yard – D. F. Brawley. The first brick yard was opened and worked by D. F. Brawley, now of St. Vincent, who came to St. Paul, in April, 1849. The yard was near where D. W. Ingersol’s residence now stands. He made 300,000 brick in 1849, and most of them went into the building of the Methodist Church on Market street. Mr. Brawley says that “this is the best laid up brick building in this city, and, if not taken down, will stand for years.” Contractors better look at it. We do not know what other special business Mr. Brawley was engaged in during his residence here, except as we remember his running a ferry boat, and was once a member of the legislature. He was a good deal of a politician, and very decided in his convictions. As a man, he was generous, kind-hearted, social; physically strong and energetic. He is about 60 years old, but when he gets among the old settlers in St. Paul, he is about 20. In his humble sphere he did a good deal towards laying the foundation for our present growth and greatness, and deserves more than this brief mention. He has three children in the city, one married daughter, one single and one son. (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Sunday Morning, March 23, 1884, Volume VII, Number 83, Page 9)
“We called on friend BRAWLEY the other day, at his brick yard. He is now in a most successful state of operations. He employs two mills, ten men, and has now on hand some 400,000 brick. The quality is better than can be shown north of Saint Louis. If we are really going to build a city we must use brick.” – [Pioneer, Aug. 30.] This was the first kiln of brick ever burned in Minnesota. The yard was near the present residence of D. W. Ingersoll. E. D. Neill had a dwelling built from this kiln, and the Market Street Methodist Episcopal church was also built from it.
1 - St. Vincent's post office opened on September 23, 1878, and Daniel Brawley was it's first postmaster!