Wednesday, December 21, 2005

100 Years Ago...

Ever wonder what St. Vincent/Pembina area looked like a century ago?

In 1908, if you wanted to go from St. Vincent to Pembina, you had to use the river ferry. When my grandfather was courting my grandmother, he was the town drayman, and was often working with the ferryman in transporting cargo to town businesses, as well as mail items to the postmaster for delivery...

Here we have a street scene in a residential area of 1910 Pembina. The 'street' is not much more than a track in the dirt. Tales of having to deal with muddy wheels fell on my young, deaf ears from my mother and grandmother. Now when I see the photos as an adult, it's beginning to sink in how primitive things were and what they had to deal with just to get around. We are SO spoiled today...

By the way, according to U.S. Census records, St. Vincent's population at the turn of the last century was 349 (at the last census in 2000, it was 170...)

No comments:

Post a Comment