Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Becoming a Citizen

While on a trip to the twin cities this long weekend, I visited the Minnesota Historical Society headquarters' library and did a bit of research. I found both of my great grandfathers' paperwork concerning naturalizations. I had noticed years before there was no confirmation in the census record for my great grandfather William Fitzgerald for actual naturalization and citizenship. I got conformation of it this weekend. He only did what is called a declaraction of intent, but never followed up on it. I have no idea why...

On the other hand, my other great grandfather, Sheldon Albert Fitzpatrick, did finish the process and become a citizen. The strange thing is, it didn't seem to make any difference since the Fitzgeralds stayed and never had problems being deported, and their descendents have always been considered American citizens.