Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Becoming a Citizen

While on a trip to the twin cities this long weekend, I visited the Minnesota Historical Society headquarters' library and did a bit of research. I found both of my great grandfathers' paperwork concerning naturalizations. I had noticed years before there was no confirmation in the census record for my great grandfather William Fitzgerald for actual naturalization and citizenship. I got conformation of it this weekend. He only did what is called a declaraction of intent, but never followed up on it. I have no idea why...

On the other hand, my other great grandfather, Sheldon Albert Fitzpatrick, did finish the process and become a citizen. The strange thing is, it didn't seem to make any difference since the Fitzgeralds stayed and never had problems being deported, and their descendents have always been considered American citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment