Saturday, July 08, 2006

Gamble Letter #27

St Vincent
July 26th 1886

My Dear Maggie and Granpa

We received your kind letter and was glad to hear that you were well as this leaves us allw ell at present I thought sure there was something wrong you were so long in writing and you may be sure we were glad when we got your letter

We are having very dry weather here there has been very little rain this summer We will start to cut some of our grain next week the crops are not very good on account of the dry weather the gardens does not look very good either they say there will not be many patoes this year there was a big day in Pembina on the 5th of July the 4th came on sunday so they held it on the 5th in the fore noon there was Speech and reading in the grove and in the afternoon there was a game of base ball played by the Pembina boys and the boys from Bathgate the Pembina boys got beat then after the base ball there was races of all kind and at night there was fire-works and a ball Alick and Ellen went to the Ball and they had a splendid time


It is haying time Just now we have up about 30 ton it is not very good this year. I suppose there is lots of berries there I wish we lived near where there some rasp berries every other year there was a few but this year there is none Lizzie and I went out picking one day last and we got 2 cups full there is no fruit here of any kind not even cranberries there is no hazel nuts either I think the frost in June must have killed them

This is ahorrible letter all blots and half of the words not spell I was never a good writer there was talk of being another picnic here and a game of base ball but they say it is too busy a time

I said when Ellen was so long in writing the last time that I would write this time But I think i will have to stop this scribbling or I will be ashamed to send it - we all join in sending our love to you and granpa hoping to hear from you soon I remain

Yours truly
Jannie Gamble

Alick told me to tell you that he never does be sick now and to write soon and tell us all the news J.G.

Excuse mistakes please I am sending you a card it is not very nice but the verse on it is lovely He that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love

No comments:

Post a Comment