Thursday, September 06, 2007

Northwest Passage

My hometown isn't anywhere near where the old-timers thought the Northwest Passage might have been, but it is definitely of the time and place, so to speak, of the story told in a recent collection by that name, written and drawn by Canadian Scott Chandler.

I've been an avid reader all my life, including comics. I picked up Scott's book last weekend and haven't put it down since. I greatly admire the research he's put into it, as well as the hard work to make the characters and story not only authentic, but fascinating...even riveting. The people in the story are the same types that forged the frontier in the Pembina and St. Vincent area during the same time period.

If you've never considered comics, but love history, I heartily endorse Northwest Passage, and recommend it highly...

No comments:

Post a Comment