Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Guy Maddin & Me

Maddin's documentary is built on myths and memories
When Maddin agreed to make a film about his hometown...it became what he calls a “docu-fantasia,” a potent, highly personal blend of fact and fiction. My Winnipeg is a hypnotic vision of a dreamy burg trapped in eternal winter and heavy, hibernating passivity. Shot in gauzy black and white...

From Home Truths
I adore Guy Maddin.

His narration in My Winnipeg strongly resonates with me. It's how I feel about St. Vincent. He talks about the city haunting him in his dreams. How no matter where he is, Winnipeg is right there with him. Boy, do I relate...

1 comment:

  1. I'm not much for this surreal type of film-making, but I can appreciate the art of it. That screen cap (the horses in the snow) is disturbing, beautiful and mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete