Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Long Ago: Part I

In another recent post, I introduced readers to an amazing collection of essays about my hometown region, written by Charles H. Lee. Mr. Lee was a newspaper man. He published the Mountaineer out of Walhalla. One of the many things he wrote was a column on local history, and The Long Ago eventually came out of that. I recently spoke with area historians who said that Mr. Lee's sources for the columns were mostly first-hand, meaning he talked to people that lived through it. He did this in the late 1800's, when many of the people were still alive. He also consulted written sources.

This is the first of a series, in which I shall share scanned images of the pages of the book itself, rather than retype it all. If you click on the images, they will enlarge for easy viewing. I hope whoever you are, that you will enjoy it as much as I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment