Sunday, October 21, 2007

Profile: Dr. Anthony S. Berlin


Anthony Berlin was the only child of Theresa and Nicolas Berlin, born in Chicago in 1907. His parents came to this country from Italy at a very young age. The family name was Berlingieri, but his father changed it to Berlin.

When Tony was three years old, his parents moved to St Paul, Minnesota. He grew to manhood there. He was active in sports and during one of his games, he sustained an injury to his leg. He developed Osteomyelitis and was hospitalized for many weeks. His Doctor brought him gifts and gave him encouragement and he was so impressed that he decided to become a Doctor when he grew up.

He attended the University of Minnesota and received his degree from there. After completing his Internship, he planned to go into a Specialty, but his Father became ill at this time so he changed his plans and proceeded to look for a place to practice. About this time, Dr. Joseph Stratte was looking for a young Doctor to assist him in Hallock. He convinced Tony that Hallock was the place to go. On a winter day in 1936, Tony arrived in Hallock on the train. Dr. Anthony Berlin served at the Kittson Memorial Hospital from (1936-1956)

In 1940 he married Mildred Finney who was employed by the Northwest Bank. They had three children, John Nicholas, Mary Susan and James Anthony.

In 1956, due to failing health, the family moved to Anaheim, California where Tony practiced until he passed away on Dec. 7, 1973. It was reported that he died from Rabies contracted from a patient.

Written by his wife Mildred Berlin for "Our Northwest Corner" Histories of Kittson County, Minnesota 1979

NOTE: Mildred's mother was my great aunt Mary Margaret Fitzpatrick, who married into the Finney family...yes, it does sometimes seem like I'm related to everyone in Kittson County! My Mom used to joke about that...

2 comments:

  1. Trish, I met Mildred and Dr. Berlin while with the Marines in California. I became friends with their daughter Susan and kept communications open with them even while I was overseas. I spent my last night in California with them at their home in Anaheim before returning to my home in Missouri. I lost contact with them and would really like to get in contact with Susan once again. Can you help me locate her or her mother? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

    Roy Terry
    Lake of the Ozarks, Mo.
    573-346-0680
    jrterry59@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could help you, Roy. Although they are related to me, I never met them, being an older generation. My mother might have been able to answer you, but sadly she passed away in 2007...

      Delete